Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Wishlist Wednesday. The List

Hosted by Pen to Paper

I'm not entirely sure how this meme is going to work in the long run. For now, I (Stella) will run it, but Claire will probably co-make this with me.

So, I just did a massive book haul at Barnes and Noble. I bought Scarlet by Marissa Meyer, Don't Look Back by Jennifer L. Armentrout, and a collection of Jane Austen novels including Emma, Persuasion,   Pride and Predjudice, and Sense and Sensibility. May I just add that the one book with all the Jane Austen novels was only $7.00!!! I hit the mother load! But as nice as that is, there is one particular book that my heart still yearns for...

THE LIST BY SIOBHAN VIVIAN

An intense look at the rules of high school attraction -- and the price that's paid for them. It happens every year. A list is posted, and one girl from each grade is chosen as the prettiest, and another is chosen as the ugliest. Nobody knows who makes the list. It almost doesn't matter. The damage is done the minute it goes up. This is the story of eight girls, freshman to senior, "pretty" and "ugly." And it's also the story of how we see ourselves, and how other people see us, and the tangled connection of the two.

I started reading this book at a friends house. Immediately, I was hooked into this "typical" high school world. And although there is that fine line between "high school cheesy" and real life, this book didn't seem to cross it. In this book there are over six main characters, all with different points of view, all with different social standings. This intrigues me in the sense that we get to hear both sides of the story. So instead of reading one of those cliche stories where the underdog rises up from the ashes of defeat and wins the prize, whatever it is, "The List" gives you a perfect balance of underdogs, populars, and everything in between. It deals with real-world problems like bulimia and depression. Adults tend to skim over those things, believing that kids invent their own problems, but this book faces them head on.  

Sadly, I only read the first few chapters of the book, which is why this is MY WISHLIST WEDNESDAY! I hope that I will be able to read this book soon!

- stELla

2 comments:

  1. Oh I'm sorry you couldn't grab this one while you were visiting B&N. It sounds good, hope you'll get to read it soon!

    My WW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll be sure to post a review once I get it! :)

      Delete