Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Wishlist Wednesday. Gathering Blue

Hosted by Pen to Paper

So this week I have spent a lot of time thinking about a book called "The Giver" by Lois Lowry. This may be because it's an amazing piece of literature, which it certainly is. It could also be that I read it in class this year, which I did. Or it may have something to do with a certain movie that is coming out on August 15th... could it be "The Giver"? Why yes! It is! But as valid as all those reasons are, I have been thinking a lot about this classic novel because...

This week, my Wishlist Wednesday is...(DRUM ROLL PLEASE!!!) 


GATHERING BLUE BY LOIS LOWRY

In her strongest work to date, Lois Lowry once again creates a mysterious but plausible future world. It is a society ruled by savagery and deceit that shuns and discards the weak. Left orphaned and physically flawed, young Kira faces a frightening, uncertain future. Blessed with an almost magical talent that keeps her alive, she struggles with ever broadening responsibilities in her quest for truth, discovering things that will change her life forever.

When I heard about this book and how it was the second installment to "The Giver" I jumped for joy. Lois Lowry's interpretation of a world without memory is brilliant and I can not wait to see what she does with this book. Apparently it is going to be centered around the same idea as "The Giver", but with a different town and a fresh new cast of characters. The main character, Kira, has a leg deformity. I find the idea of writing in a perspective of a young girl who is outcasted because of the way she looks makes the book and the character even more real. I enjoy reading literature that doesn't exactly have that "perfect" protagonist. This way the reader understands that you don't need to be anyone but yourself to prove that you can be the hero of the story. In "The Giver", Jonas, the main character, begins to see different colors after receiving his first couple of memories of Elsewhere. I wonder if the color blue has anything to do with the world Kira lives in. Maybe she can only see blue, like the characters in "The Giver" can only see black and white. Or maybe she can't see the color blue at all. Either way, this book is a mystery to uncover and I'm excited to begin reading it! Who knows, maybe Jonas will make an appearance in this book! It wouldn't surprise me...

- stELla

No comments:

Post a Comment