Saturday, July 4, 2015

Tag 1. Disney Book Tag

1. The Little Mermaid (character who is out of their element, a “fish out of water”)
Recently I read I'll Give You the Sun, and I have to pick Jude from it! She goes to an art school where she doesn't have any friends, and she doesn't have a very strong passion for art. She feels like she's literally haunted, and makes no effort to fit in. I could also include her twin brother, Noah, for this one. I didn;t though because he has issues being an outsider during his early teen years since he's a quiet and gay, he fits in once he gets to high school. Plus, I like Jude better.


2. Cinderella (character who goes through a major transformation)
For this, I need to pick Guy Montag from Fahrenheit 451. Towards the beginning of the novel he's fairly faithful in the ways of his dystopian world, but by the end he's betrayed his society and is on the run. The whole book is his process of realizing that knowledge is power, and his quest to gain it. A year ago I would of said this is my favorite book, and I really want to read it again.

3. Snow White (a book with an eclectic cast of characters)
I know people have done this series before, but for this section I just have to do the Heroes of Olympus Series, specifically the last book, The Blood of Olympus. Every single one of the characters is fantastic, with their own unique backstories, motives, and superpowers. As a team, they kick ass. I also love how in this series even the more minor characters have development and their own stories and adventures. There is a character for everyone in this series.

4. Sleeping Beauty (book that put you to sleep)
There aren't any books I can think of that I read recently that I was completely bored with, but I tried to read War of the Worlds with my dad, and I was just bored. I barely even made a dent in it. I couldn't follow it, get into it, or really even picture it. Needless to say, I gave up on it.

5. The Lion King (character who had something traumatic happen to them in childhood)
I was not even that big of a fan of the novel The Beginning of Everything, but one of the characters (who is named Toby) has one of the most traumatic and strange backstories I've ever read. When Toby was on a roller coaster in Disney World, the kid sitting in front of him got his head ripped off and thrown into Toby's lap. The backstory is weird and would traumatize even the toughest of children.

6. Beauty and the Beast (beast of a book (a big book) that you were intimidated by)
Clearly this one has to go to the books from the Song of Ice and Fire series (including A Clash of Kings and A Storm of Swords). When I started the series I was a little put off by the size of the novels, but now I'm on the fourth one! These books stretch hundreds of pages, so each one is a serious investment.

7. Aladdin (character who gets their wish granted, for better or worse)
I love the Lunar Chronicles series, and the most recent installment, Cress, is a retelling of Rapunzel. Rapunzel's parallel wishes to get out of her prison (in this book a satellite, not a tower), and she gets exactly what she wishes for, and all the antics and adventures that you'd expect from the series. If you haven't started this series, I have no idea what you are waiting for.

8. Up (book that you went in not knowing a lot about)
This prize goes to We Were Liars, a book I went into knowing almost nothing about. I knew it was a book about an island during the summer, and that was it. I stand by the belief that this is a novel to go into knowing  as little about as possible.

9. Frozen (favorite book siblings)
I've got a soft spot in my heart for the Weasley family from the Harry Potter series. Those redhead siblings always get to go on magical adventures, and each one is distinct in their own way. Although they can fight and bicker with each other, in the end they always have each others' backs. Plus, they all get to be friends with Harry Potter and go to Hogwarts.

10. Disney Descendants - your favorite villain or morally ambiguous character
My favorite villain has to be Umbridge from Harry Potter (and I know I already used Harry Potter for siblings, but bear with me). I have never loved to hate a character as much as her. She can be lined up with all the murders and traitors that fill the pages of her series, and I will always say I hate her the most (with the most affection possible).

Sorry I haven't posted in so long. I'll try to update more regularly. Happy 4th of July!
-Claire

No comments:

Post a Comment